View Single Post
Old 2009-10-24, 01:52   Link #876
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
In fairness to Kyon, though, part of the problem is that the other three never say anything against Haruhi. So, I suspect that Kyon feels like he has the obligation to be the constant voice of moderation and counter-point to Haruhi.
I'm amazed no one has already remarked that he actually says exactly that as his reason for why he's the one always challenging Haruhi. Itsuki is a compulsive kiss-ass (and not just to Haruhi), Mikuru is (possibly genetically engineered to be) unable to confront Haruhi, and Yuki never says anything, so since someone has to keep a leash on her, it can only be him. To be honest, I don't remember where exactly he says this (I've re-read a lot of the later novels lately, so I don't remember exactly where it was), but I can guarantee you he does.

I want to say it was in the beginning of Disappearance, but don't get that chisel ready just yet.

Now this might be more common knowledge if someone would just hurry up and read the later books, already... (Yes, I know it stopped whinnying a long time ago, but I'm still gonna beat it...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Anyway, due to what is perhaps fair criticism of me for not having done so yet... I intend to read through the first eight novels at least. What I've heard of nine is not encouraging, but I might read it as well.
Well good. About time. If you want to hold off on 9 until 10 is out, I wouldn't blame you, but I'm willing to bet I'm not the only one who thinks that 9 and 10, taken as a whole (being a "single" story, such as they are), could potentially be the best of the Haruhi novels... Yes, even better than Disappearance. There is a lot of set up for awesomeness and (*gasp*) actual plot, you just have to pay attention.