View Single Post
Old 2011-01-09, 21:15   Link #41
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
I think things started getting out of hand when moe started being viewed as a genre,since as others have said,moe is something subjective that was just originaly used to describe characters,not a whole show.The characters could come from any genre,horror included.

The only way to really define it as a genre is to say that a "moe anime" is an anime that has lots of moe characters in it,but since moe is subjective you're going to have a hard time putting bounderies around which anime fit the "genre" or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneHige
I also use the term 'moe anime' to dismiss anime often. The context though its because the creators/designer designed the story and characters that cater to the largest or most popular 'moe'-traits. For example, loli, cat ears, tsundere are some of the traits that are massively popular among anime otakus. If an anime is designing characters and story with that in mind, and the main selling point IS the two, then I classify that under 'moe-anime' and drop it before it hurts my brain.
My personal name for those is "moe fanservice shows" because just like in "traditional" fanservice shows the viewer isn't really watching the show for the plot but for the "service",it's just a different kind of "service".