View Single Post
Old 2007-05-25, 00:21   Link #111
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertness View Post
Konata's odd breaths, grunts, and mushy speech remind me of the poor speech habits of many a male geek. I think when they come from a cute girl, it emphasizes her unique character.
(This post is kind of rambling. That'll teach me to post this late.)

I was thinking the same thing, but there was something else I notice.

Konata intentionally tries to make her own speech delivery more interesting, not just through her choice of mangling words but through her extra sounds and intonation. She does it a lot less when she's alone, though. Just like her desire to annoy Tsukasa, she takes her daily interactions as an opportunity to perform for her own amusement (probably because she'd find human interaction boring otherwise).

I'm much the same, although it manifests in a different way. I just learned to tone it down around "normal people".

Without seeing her speech patterns from the manga, I'm not sure how much of this character trait is unique to the anime, but as "performance-inclined" as Konata is, I get the feeling it's not just Hirano trying to sound unique for the role, but genuinely trying to portray the character. After watching different interviews with her at different times, I get the feeling that Hirano is much like this herself, though (her widely-varying "real voice" is a good indicator of that). She says that pretty much her first shot at the voice after reading the manga is what they used (aside from frequently having to make it sound more lethargic), so she probably picked up the idea that Konata might sound that way from the manga itself.