View Single Post
Old 2010-06-29, 18:11   Link #83
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

One thing I hate about Anime is that it lacks the use of certain animation techniques that make animation more life-like and pleasurable to the eyes.

1)Well the first thing I'll point out is really more an opinion on style than anything else. Anime tends to use a style which has sharp and jagged lines as oppossed to smooth and curvy. Although details presented through the use of sharp lines stands out very easily and is easier for the viewer to distinguish it makes things look very unnatural. This allows anime to be more easily produced compared to the smooth/curvy american Western/traditional style. The sharp and jagged lines make things seem very unnatural. That causes your eyes to focus on it and also gives this artificial-feeling to anime that some people seem to like, but in my opinion, it designates anime as a lesser form of animation.

2)Sometimes in anime you will see little lines sparked across the screen when a character's expression changes suddenly or some form of action is taking
place. These lines are called "action lines". The action should speak for itself and not need some fancy lines to guide the way for its viewers. It should be able to grab the attention of the viewers by itself.

In more traditonal forms of animation there is a technique called anticipation. What this does is warn the viewer's mind before hand that a certain action is about to take place so it can register in the viewer's mind before it actually happens. If you watch American animation, you'll notice that often times a character may anticipate that he's going to be hit in the face by reacting before he's actually hit. Or he may anticipate that he's going to break into a run by stepping backwards first. However, the anticipation technique is usually very subtle when you're watching it because it blends so seamlessly and naturally with the animation.

3)Path of action. This usually has to do with where a character starts out,
where he should end up, and how he will get there. I really haven't seen this technique performed well in anime. The big reason behind this is that traditional animation uses a technique where the motion of things (good examples being hands and feet) moves in curves. This is usually impossible to do with Japanese animation because of its use of sharp and jagged lines; you have less freedom in movement without contorting the character's body into some unrealistic shape. On the other end curved motion makes the animation seem very fluid and natural(animated).

One may also also notice that in Western styled animation, the time frame of action tends to be parabolic ( the action starts out slow and gets faster
until it slows down again). This makes the animation seem very smooth and appealing to the eyes, increasing the percieved sense of realism.

4)Squash and stretch. This adds a rubber-effect to the animation. When a force acts upon a body of mass, it either expands it or squeezes it. This makes the object seem real, solid and three dimensional, since the physical reaction conveys weight and mass. Unfortunately, to use this technique, one must work with a roundish body of mass. This means that you can't use it with drawings based off those jagged lines usually found in anime.

So anime is a very restrictive style of animation. Also it comes across as a very extreme form of limited animation.

In anime, when one character is speaking, everything else on the screen will appear as if it has been frozen in time. The other characters will stand in the
background like zombies. Even in the American versions of limited animation, you will often see that animators still pay attention to small details. Take a closer look and you will see characters blink their eyes and fidget in the background of a regular cartoon. Nobody really notices this when they see it, however the absence of it looks painstakingly clear in anime. Once again, animation is all about movement; even small movements add to the sense of realism.

Since this is getting kind of long I'll just leave it at that for now, but I was also going to tackle the lack of variety in facial expressions and the poor use of body posture to convey emotion.

Last edited by GuidoHunter_Toki; 2010-06-30 at 15:31.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote