View Single Post
Old 2009-08-30, 02:12   Link #96
ac195
Koh nara dekiru!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
On the second one, I don't see how anyone can read this as Kyon maliciously wishing for Haruhi to be terrified. Going back to one of the ones above, Haruhi does not acknowledge the repercussions of her actions at all. She has very little to non-existent self-control. And as proven by the end of Melancholy, her brain is out to lunch when it comes to situations where she should rightly be scared out of her mind. Does he wish for Haruhi to encounter a situation where she quits with the bullheadedness and stops to think about her surroundings? Absolutely. The series is full of examples where he as much as says this. Does he specifically wish for her to be terrified? Probably not, but would her being scared put her in a situation where she has to take stock of her situation? Most likely. Keep in mind too that "terrified" is a very strong term, and, this being a translation, might not be connotatively accurate. "Scared" or even "unsettled" could be more accurate. I don't know.
I didn't think this needed to be explained... I guess some people are just dense. Still, nicely done.

As for being truly terrified, Haruhi has already experienced this once. Kyon's epic adventure where he challenged the mighty stairwell with nothing but his face should come to mind.