View Single Post
Old 2013-05-13, 13:24   Link #5
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
If you agree that arranged marriage is "an archaic concept that boils down to little more than slavery" than aren't you effectively "biased" against it?

Also, I have to frank - I find it silly to expect humans to overcome any bias that we may have. We're human beings, not perfectly objective machines. It's when we think we're holding no bias at all that we are actually at our most biased, in my view - Because it gives us a false sense of "higher ground" compared to others.

The fact is that we all have culturally/socially-ingrained biases, and the most we can realistically hope to do is to recognize them in ourselves and try to temper them/account for them.
Yea, it's never that wise to claim some objective machine stuff. This is why I brought up biases earlier, and frankly could give less of a shit if people accused me of being biased, because that's just pointless. We all are born into different situations, and obviously this influences how we view things. That is why I pointed the thread on how you (as an individual) view what is happening. Of course, this is the internet, and it's necessary to tell people on how wrong they are because for some reason the truth is only available to some people for the low low price of $99.99

Though when people mean overcome bias it also means to simply accept other possibilities.

As for arranged message itself though, I think it can been sufficiently strong enough to address as what certain people believe it to be something like that. Yes, I understand that a strong belief in individual choice is particularly a facet of the mindset of Western Democracy, but I think it would be so firmly ingrained in our collective morality, that I could most indeed feel that it is wrong if it involves coercion that I would be pretty dishonest if I were try to argue otherwise. It probably isn't the only valid assessment, but then again what ever is? Is this really "bias" or a "cultural difference". Yes, but if you're addressing this particular poster as a person, it would be impossible to separate these beliefs from my own. Obviously this isn't as clear cut as say, the treatment of women in the Middle East.

It is certainly a degree of high horsedness, but then again I think it's somewhat necessary, especially against the more extreme examples of inequality out there.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote