View Single Post
Old 2010-10-04, 10:52   Link #275
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Hmm... maybe it's just me, but I'm not sure that I see what's there to misinterpret. While there are some who are outgoing and flamboyant about their hobbies, I tend to think that the vast majority keep it to themselves. (Because, if you think about it, like Kirino, most of these people have jobs in order to pay for all the expensive merchandise they collect.) I don't think people would be offended at the insinuation that someone would keep the hobby a secret (especially from your parents), even if some of them may feel it unnecessary. Besides, the franchise is already quite popular among the core audience even before the arrival of this anime, so I imagine it won't be an issue for most.
If it's already succeeding, then what I was saying is moot anyway, but I was mainly driving at the tendency of a large portion of anime viewers--and really, TV viewers in general--to judge not by the craftsmanship of the characters and story, but by how much they themselves would like this or that in their lives. I was wondering if Kirino's brusque and forceful demeanor, despite being an interesting point of her character concept, would strike moe otaku as a negative characterization of themselves. The secrecy of her hobby was actually something I was expecting to be resonant.

But I'm probably just having a knee-jerk reaction here. I've seen good stories get a roasting because people refused to judge characters as characters, and instead judge them as people.