View Single Post
Old 2006-07-28, 16:56   Link #58
LostBlue
祭囃子

Shion herself is in a tight position.

She can't "exist" in the Hinamizawa area. For her to go out, she must assume Mion's identity, but to pull it off effectively Mion can't be wandering off outside the at same time. So they call each other. Whenever Mion is free she'll go over to Shion's house and Shion can become Mion working outside. Without Mion's cooperation Shion can't step outside of her apartment building. One screw up and she'll have the Sonozaki Yakuza members dragging her in-front of Sonozaki Oryou. And Oryou is scary. I mean really scary. I mean REALLY scary.

Satoshi-kun's kindness moved her. She meets him randomly every so often outside, but she can't tell him who she is. Eventually Shion learns every Sunday he goes to baseball practice down in Okinomiya. She couldn't hold back her desire to be with him and goes to the practices w/o telling Mion (although Mion catches on pretty quickly to cover for her).

Many people blame Shion for not helping Satoko, but Shion isn't in the position to help her. Shion avoids going to Hinamizawa at all costs (so she really took a chance going to the school in this arc). Heck, she can barely even meet with Satoshi when she wants to. When she does meet with him, she tries her best to to ease him, but that's all that she can do... I'm sure that frustration was building on her. Not being able to help or ease the one you love and thing you can do is see him slowly degenerate.

When she finally meets with him again at the school (again this is after weeks of separation) his attitude towards her crushed her. I think in Shion's mind she knows she can't do much for Satoshi, but Satoko who's always around him can, but instead Satoko is causing him more pain. That's why Shion just burst out on Satoko. If only Satoko will "man up" at bit, take care of herself, and not push all her troubles on Satoshi, then Shion can do something for him. All Shion wants to do is love and care for Satoshi, but her feeling can't reach him b/c Satoko selfish pleas hurts Satoshi. Shion went to help Satoko clean up... and what happens? Satoko calls out for Ni-Ni over a trivial task that's already been taken care of... That attitude, that selfishness for wanting Ni-Ni to do every for her is what made Shion snap.

Again, I'll reiterate. Shion has only spends a limited time outside her apartment. When she does get the chance to go outside, Shion can't be "Shion" and must be "Mion." Shion has to spend most of this limited time she gets on making a living or purchasing food and other needs. If she is lucky she gets to see Satoshi (rare). Until she finds out about the baseball practice, which this joy was short-lived as Satoshi stops going to it. She spends weeks worrying sick about him and when she finally sees him, Satoshi gives her the F'you attitude. Shion was definitely wasn't thinking straight with her heart wrentched when she directed her anger at Satoko.