View Single Post
Old 2013-02-01, 22:25   Link #57
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
My view on it is that Gino initially put Masaoka and Kogami on Akane's team because Masaoka and Kogami both used to be Detectives and hence could be helpful in showing the newbie the ropes.

Gino's confidence in Akane has gradually risen (due to her standing up for herself against him, and also due to what she did to try to catch Makishima). So Gino no longer feels a need to put both ex-Detectives on Akane's team. She can afford to lose "the training wheels", and so Gino makes more balanced teams of One Detective, One Ex-Detective, One True Enforcer.
I think that might be a little too flattering an interpretation of his actions for someone who was a rather unsympathetic character up until recently. Gino hasn't really shown any real admiration for Masaoka and Kougami's detective instincts (more like distaste, really, and even in this very episode, after Kougami's shown him up so many times already, he still hesitated to trust his judgement), and seems to have a general disregard for the concept of being a detective in the classic sense (something which, conversely, Masaoka and Kougami definitely value), with Sybil's role of "Inspector" already being deeply ingrained in his mind scheme as the right thing. So personally I'd still say his previous choice of teams was more about him avoiding the two people who have disappointed him the most and whom he probably felt could exert a negative influence on him and his hue.

But yes, he's definitely shown some improvements lately, and has indeed come to trust and respect Akane enough to handle whatever combination of teams the situation might call for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
At a meta-level, there's many possible reasons for Kagari being put on Akane's team. One I want to throw out there - The Enforcer most likely to be swayed by Makishima making an anti-Sybil speech is Kagari. Just something to think about...
That's another interesting prospect and one I would probably welcome given that it would give Kagari an actual role to play and story to tell, something he alone has generally lacked thus far (and maybe Shion as well if you count her, whereas Yayoi had that one episode about her to make up for her otherwise small presence).