View Single Post
Old 2011-02-06, 20:56   Link #1568
trenton_dawn
Silt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnAwesomee View Post
You would need to convert it, Guitar and piano are two instruments that are unique in that each playable note on the instrument is visible on the body. This makes finding notes on the instrument easier while reading music due to the lack of intricate key fingerings. Guitars and pianos are often used together in songs. However, in order for a guitarist to read piano music, the notes must be changed. This is because a guitar is in the key of E, and the piano is in C. Transposing refers to the changing of notes with keys. That would be too much if you know what i mean for one person to convert all parts in there clef
I feel like it's not entirely accurate to say "the guitar is in the key of E". Unlike a piano, where the C Major scale is obviously the natural position (specifically, the fact that white keys form the C Major scale), there is no such obvious breakdown on a guitar. Sure, the lowest string is E, but playing an open chord doesn't get you an E, and neither does playing the frets in order. Of course, E is the most basic chord to play, and I do understand what you mean.

As for writing music, as long as you know standard music notation, you can write music scores for any instrument (drum tablature is a little different). Obviously, the instrument player will have to interpret the music into tablature specific to their instrument (unless that instrument uses standard notation, as in the case of the piano/keyboard), and it does help for the composer to have some knowledge of what that instrument is capable of.
trenton_dawn is offline   Reply With Quote