View Single Post
Old 2004-02-26, 20:01   Link #35
KoroshiyaX
X

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavalyn
Repeat: I think the request is not to abandon XDCC, but rather to increase BT traffic, as BT is (in the average run) faster given equal resources.

While you're thinking "wow bots are so fast", note that files could be released 2.5-4h earlier without the overhead of pre-release IRC distro. As a member of a fansub team, I'm sure you know how long it takes to get the new releases to a bot - you're still only going as fast as the encoder. In that amount of time, a BT solution would have distributed the file not only to the bots, but also to the masses.

The single-user nature of XDCC is what BT makes obsolete.

BT has evened the playing field between distro and leecher - by making all leechers distro at least somewhat.
BT traffic is always high. My only problem is those people that complain that we, fansubbers, should use our fast XDCC bots to Seed. People do no realize how much resources BT can take when doing high speed and high number of transfers as I mentioned in my previous post.

Over broadband it is not as apparent.

As fo your comment in pre-distro. We would still need to use XDCC bots or fast fileservers to send several ppl the file in order for them to seed it in the first place. Releasing an episode with only 1 seeder, you will have ppl complaining.

I remember once I did that, and I'm also an encoder, I released after I finished encoding. We got several dozen complaints on how slow BT was :P

BT is an efficient means of distribution as a whole, and Fast XDCC is still more of an instant gratification. That is why I prefer it over BT.

A combination of Both methods is what we've been doing.

And to those who reacted strongly to our promotional idea, the world isn't coming to an end if not available on BT you know :P
KoroshiyaX is offline   Reply With Quote