View Single Post
Old 2014-01-01, 13:21   Link #8100
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

I don't think Cleveland is a threat in terms of going up past Jacksonville in the draft order by trading up. I still attest the Rams will go for a QB. Bradford has shown promise every now and then, but in the long run, it's not been worth how high he was picked at.

The Rams are likely to not get a pick this high in quite some time. The debarcle in Washington has benefited them greatly. When you have Manziel, Bridgewater and Bortles to pick from, amongst others, I think the Rams would be crazy to go for a QB in 2014s draft pool. Zac Stacy is a very solid RB, Tavon Austin came through in the latter half of the season, Quick is also good. But those weapons are going to go to waste without a QB that can service them appropriately. I'd imagine they will go more defensive picks overall in the draft, but Washington lad St. Louis a golden egg. This would be a rare chance to get a QB with more upside than downside that high.

The team I honestly think will try to trade up is Minnesota. There's hardly a team more desperate for a good QB. They tried through all of 2012 to fix it and it sealed Frazier's demise. Ponder and Freeman are toast, Cassel is probably safe but more as a backup. With a new coach imminent, you'd think Minnesota would desperately want a QB their coach can shape to their gameplan from Day 1. Again, they will probably go defense with most of their picks, but after they had a load of picks last year and fixed some positions, they have to get a good QB asap. Zygi Wylf sounded like a guy who was willing to go to almost any length to get one. When you have Kalil to protect, Peterson to hand off to, then Jennings, Patterson and Rudolph to throw to - this seems like the year Minnesota MUST get one. You'd think they will do better this year and not get a chance at a high pick for a few years. Maybe they're willing to risk one of the likely trio to make it to them or take a punt on another, but I feel Minnesota is perhaps the most hungry organisation to fix the QB spot once and for all.

For the top 20 picks (since 21-32 are still in the air and those teams are very unlikely to go for one), my thoughts on whether they would get one or not are:

1. Houston - Yes
2. St. Louis - Yes
3. Jacksonville - Yes
4. Cleveland - Yes
5. Oakland - Yes
6. Atlanta - No
7. Tampa Bay - No
8. Minnesota - Yes
9. Buffalo - No
10. Detroit - No
11. Tennessee - Yes
12. New York Giants - No
13. St. Louis - Not at this pick if they keep #2, Yes if they trade #2
14. Chicago - No
15. Pittsburgh - No
16. Baltimore - No
17. Dallas - No
18. New York Jets - No
19. Miami Dolphins - No
20. Arizona - Yes

With 5 teams above Minnesota in that draft that are in need of a much better QB, I don't see Zygi Wlf taking that chance considering they had a real pick glut last year. I'd expect Minnesota to try and do a deal with St. Louis or Jacksonville. Call me delusional if you must, but for me, Minnesota are the team that would trade up to get someone out of Manziel, Bridgewater and Bortles.