View Single Post
Old 2013-02-12, 12:39   Link #24
Youkakun
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8day View Post
I've just re-read this topic and... have anyone noticed that it's only about typeset? Almost no one here had said nothing about improvement that concerns subtitles, everything was about the so called "view".

In that case, you guys really should work on some post-processing framework rather than subs. Even HTML-like subs probably won't be enough. VapourSynth seems to be getting more mature with every day, so it may be a good choice. Or, use Blender which will do all that you want, esp. with VapourSynth.
Right, this discussion isn't (only) about typesetting, it's about subtitle format design.
Anyway doing all this 'view' stuff additionally in video editing software requires hardsubbing and more work. I like to write some text and put my tiny script with others together for the final overlay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
Personally I believe that some effort should be put into TTML (Timed Text Markup Language)

http://www.w3.org/TR/2013/WD-ttaf1-dfxp-20130131/

I'm not sure there's any software that implements more than a tiny subset of it at this point, though.
Many people have good ideas for new formats, but the software implementation is always the real problem. I've already started to write a new renderer, but stopped by the effort to find a fitting to-memory-rendering library or write a complete renderer by myself.
Youkakun is offline   Reply With Quote