View Single Post
Old 2008-04-17, 17:52   Link #72
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huscheli View Post
Weeel, just to add something:

Kittens don't just "get" the litter box (and there certainly is no "instinct" involved). It really depends where you got your cat from. If they were born in a household with litter boxes - they learn it from their mother from the very beginning and you will never have a problem nor have to train them.

But if you happen to get a stray, who never knew something like a litter box, training can be quite hard (and it really needs patience, as the anime showed) if one doesn't have basic cat behavior knowledge (i.e. never put the litter box near the food etc.).
That could be...I am pretty sure none of my cats were ever stray and we never had to train them to use the litter box.

Although that being said I have friends who brought home stray kittens and they never had to do this extensive training thing with the kitten either. I think it depends on how you introduce the litter to the kitten. It has to know the litter is there and I think it is best to show the kitten the litter around the time it will have to go to the bathroom. And like you said it shouldn't be put near where it eats or sleeps.

But I do think it might be an issue with a cat who has already learned to use the outside.

Last edited by Kirarakim; 2008-04-17 at 20:57.
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote