View Single Post
Old 2007-12-10, 17:37   Link #6
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toua View Post
I think we should move away from this line of thinking and just stick to whatever their creators call them separately. We really don't need a term to label them all, we need a pool of standard (japanese) terms.
Fervently disagree. The purpose of a genre classification is to differentiate one thing from another. In the context of English fandom, it's much more important to distinguish this "family" of game (ADV/NVL/etc.) from other more familiar genres and classifications. It's one thing if we on the "inside" know the actual labels and distinctions, but we need a term to explain what this "mega-genre" is to the outside world. If you start confusing people with all the myriad Japanese terms (which, again, exist because there's such a large diversity in Japan), it'll only hurt understanding. If I call Da Capo an Adventure Game (for example), they'll think it's like Zelda (an "Adventure Game"). For all intents and purposes, we use "Visual Novel" as this banner label now (hence visualnews.net, visual-novels.net, etc...), which maybe incorrect, but I think we need something... Otherwise, we're just being overly-geeky by sticking to the Japanese terms just because they're Japanese -- IMO...
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote