View Single Post
Old 2007-07-16, 11:26   Link #1
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Linux (News Discussion Thread)

Thread guidelines

This is a thread for the discussion of news regarding the word of GNU, Linux and Open Source in general. This is not a thread for the discussion of the disadvantages of Linux in comparison to other operative systems. I think passing comments should be allowed, but making a post solely about how Linux sucks will be considered a trolling attitude. This is also not a thread for general support on Linux. If I find any offending posts in these matters, I will ask for a mod to kindly remove your post.

Reasons for this thread:

My main source of news on the development of Linux comes mainly from Slashdot. However, I can't find myself pleased with the method of discussion there. There's just too many people around, and most of times the savvy-ism on the matter surpasses my limits (no wonder, I'm a really new Linux user), not to mention the enormous amount of trolls. Even though I've been learning a lot lately, Slashdot is not a place to start well articulated discussions. As such, I was thinking about making a thread like this in order to get the opinion of the very intelligent Linux users this forum has.

As the OP, I'll get the ball moving:

A day ago, Linus has called the GPLv3 creators 'hypocrites'.

Quote:
"We've heard conflicting tales regarding Linus Torvalds' acceptance of GPLv3. InformationWeek reports on comments by Mr. Torvalds that would seem to decide the issue: 'Torvalds said the authors of a new software license expected to be used by thousands of open source programmers are a bunch of hypocrites ... For Torvalds' part, it appears unlikely he'll ever adopt GPLv3 for the Linux kernel. He accused the Free Software Foundation leadership, which includes eccentric, MIT-trained computing whiz Richard Stallman, of injecting their personal morality into the laws governing open source software with the release of GPLv3. "Only religious fanatics and totalitarian states equate morality with legality," Torvalds wrote.'"
The reluctance of Linus when it comes to the adoption of GPLv3 is well known, though I can't understand why does he dismiss the anti-tivoization prevision that much. As far as I can tell, it allows TiVo (and any other company, for that matter) to bypass the GPL almost completely. The whole point of releasing the source code is for people to be allowed to make the modifications they deem fit. If TiVo makes your hardware unusable when it detects a change in the source code... Then again, I'm not very learned on the matter (that's partly one of the reasons why I started this thread, I'd like to learn more regarding lots of stuff of the Linux community).

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote