View Single Post
Old 2009-02-15, 23:36   Link #18
4Tran

It's getting to be a bit of a broken record, but this is another great episode of Marimite. An episode almost can't help being a winner when it combines excellent characterization with heartfelt emotion and solid dialogue. It seems like a very simple forumla to follow, but it's one that too many works fail to achieve. The one improvement that I can see for the show is that I wish that they went back to the whimsical previews that were in the earlier seasons. The practice of giving away plot points in the preview isn't one I'm fond of.

I also want to especially point out the great job Kugimiya Rie. I don't like many of her current roles/performances, but she's doing a knockout job bringing out the different facets of Touko's character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
I may state a cliche, but in a season of so many misses and a tottering world economy forcing anime watchers to be very careful in choosing their long-term investments, this is the new black.
No kidding. Marimite is turning into old reliable . I think that there are a number of other decent shows on right now, but this is heads and shoulders the best one out there. One mark of Marimite's strength is that it can deliver either the best drama or the best humor as the occasion demands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundrakkon View Post
Touko just went down quite a few notches in my book. I understand she has her own issues, and they are probably good reasons. However, her attitude, like in the past, never changes. She is unfriendly, and really undeserving of Yumi's affections. She was a little bit more likeable probably 2 episodes ago, but that is all gone now.
Yumi misread the situation and her timing was all wrong as a result. There was no reasonable way for Touko to accept the offer until the issue vis a vis her running away had been resolved. It also didn't help that Yumi seemed to be completely wrapped up in Sachiko's decision to go to Lillian University above all else (it was what pushed Touko to leaving the party in the first place). Moreover, it's pretty obvious that Touko was inclined to agree - and probably would have at a different time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundrakkon View Post
Nana is just brilliant. I just really love her character. Her intelligence, eloquence, and insightfulness is really astounding. I think she makes a great addition to the show. Too bad she's not Yumi's potential petite soeur...
She's far more entertaining as Yoshino's target though .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Ultimate shock of the episode, Kanako has ONLY JUST joined the basketball team?
But she's only 179cm tall, and there's probably no one in her family who has any experience with basketball besides her father, the basketball coach, and her stepmother/sempai, the basketball player. With all these drawbacks, do you think it'd be easy for her to make the team?