View Single Post
Old 2010-02-08, 14:04   Link #29
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
2D Graphics age really well, but 3D doesn't. Tried replaying FF7 a couple years back, and really couldn't get in to it again, whereas I'm fine with SNES games and sprite based graphics.
I'm not going to agree with this completely. I do agree that sprite-based games age much better than their poly-model counterparts, but Final Fantasy 7 is a really bad example.

Yes, Final Fantasy VII looks fucking horrible. That's because--guess what--it looked horrible even when it was released. It wasn't the limitations of the graphics engine, it was poor art design decisions (the Popeye-armed SD figures when out of combat, for one) that made the game ugly. Square-Enix wasn't ready for 3D, even if the technology was.

Freespace 2, a 3D space sim from nine years ago, still looks amazingly impressive, even without the fan-made high-res texture pack.

There are a lot of older 3D games that still look really good, even on the Playstation. For a Square Enix example, I still think the original Parasite Eve looks quite pretty. But Front Mission 3 looks pretty awful compared to its only-a-few-years-newer sequel, Front Mission 4. That's largely because FM3 had shitty graphics even at its time and FM4 had much improved graphics, even for its time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyvedelta View Post
There's some game that while you hate the gameplay, the graphic is so gorgeous that made you want to play it more and more. So yeah, I think it's quite important for a game. It may give us some boost so that we would play it more and more.
Yeah, except the amazing graphics of Crysis don't make up for the fact that it's barely even a game, barely more than a tech demo. I'd rather play Half-Life 2 than bother with Crysis.