View Single Post
Old 2012-02-13, 07:48   Link #18
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
My personal opinion of animator is a extremely low. It doesn't matter where you are, the wage of an animator is extremely low and is definitely not enough to support more than yourself. Having a dream career based on a hobby you love doing is one of the quickest ways to destroy your hobby in reality.

If you really want to do animation, get a different job that takes up as little of your time as possible and be an animation enthusiast when you're home. My 3 biggest at-home hobbies are animation/digital art, programming and gaming. I chose structural engineering because the work is relaxed, I get paid more than what I really need so I can afford to take time off whenever I feel like, and I don't have to work overtime. And I have much more time to enjoy my hobbies.

As an animator, you do constantly work overtime, most of the design/brainstorming work is not done by you, and your role is always a tiny fragment of something bigger (where you can't even feel your own work). It really ruins the hobby. Even an arts director gets paid fairly little while being very time consuming for a management/design position.

This is probably the most misleading profession out there that attracts more attention than it should. Maybe after psychologist or teacher.
Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote