View Single Post
Old 2008-10-24, 15:47   Link #75
Nukerjsr
Baka Inu~

Send a message via AIM to Nukerjsr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Megex View Post
Being bipolar is a lot worse than you seem to think it is (though I'm not speaking from personal experience here, so some of what I say could be wrong as well). It's not rapid changes in mood; having bipolar disorder means going through phases of mania for significant periods of time (and in some cases, the mania is followed by a significant period of depression), and, well...

The closest thing that Taiga would have would be cyclothymia, which is basically a really really mild form of type-II bipolar disorder, but even that isn't quite right, for two reasons. 1) Her mood swings aren't just random; they're affected by her environment (one of the things about all types of bipolar disorder[s] is that the changes in mood are not caused by external forces, but rather just sort of happen). 2) As far as I can tell, Taiga doesn't have periods of mania, then depression, anyway. Her moods are more those of a regular person, just exaggerated.

In short, even though a sub of Lucky Star that I watched used "bipolar" as a translation for "tsundere" (which was an "ugh" moment), the terms are not similar and should not be compared.

...However...I've found something that seems to fit Taiga quite well (though she doesn't necessarily have it; it just fits her character). Emotionally unstable personality disorder (the impulsive kind; the borderline kind is the one that's equivalent to Borderline personality disorder, and Taiga does not have anything like that).
I know it's a bit much more me to assume that, but it still feels a bit like there's a psychological problem here. It's possible she's in a state of denial because she rejected Kitamura at first, but now realized what a great person he is. And since we already saw the confession, it doesn't look like there will be progress.

I haven't read the novels either, is it just love or is there more inferiority to her? We know she's seperate from her family due to her attitude, but the school seems to respect the anger she has. A ton of people recognize her as cute and as Minori's best friend so her fiery temper doesn't seem to be rooted very well.

It's because of that I feel like the phrase "tsundere" doesn't fit too well with Taiga since she blows her feelings out of preportion with minor issues. It makes sense with her deredere side, but with those shifts it just gets confusing.

Last edited by Nukerjsr; 2008-10-24 at 16:15.