View Single Post
Old 2010-05-20, 00:42   Link #44
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Quote:
" From now on we're brothers" is acknowledging circumstances, as where they weren't acknowledged before. Under this frame work it also makes perfect sense why Sabo isn't Luffy's brother.
Actually, the drinking scene probably refers to a famous scene from Romance of the Three Kingdoms, where Liu Bei, Guan Yu and Zhang Fei proclaimed themselves to be brothers despite not sharing any blood bonds - 'though not born in the same day of the same month in the same year, we hope to die so'. Are you telling me that in the ritual Ace excludes Sabo from their fraternity simply because he wasn't adopted by Garp as well? Does that sound like Ace at all?

Quote:
To be pretty blunt part of the reason Sabo may not be luffy's brother may be for a more trivial reason. Ace is technically adopted by Garp, which makes him luffy's step relative.

In most societies (south, southeast asia, china) where Nuclear families were not the norm, the distinction between cousins, step brothers, and brothers are trivial. If you grow up in the same house as someone your age, that is under your family/extended family direct care they are your sibling. Often in informal language the honorofic that you'd address someone with is the same as just any sibling. Of course in Ace's case, he refused to acknowledge Luffy at all. Hence, a formal declaration makes sense. " From now on we're brothers" is acknowledging circumstances, as where they weren't acknowledged before. Under this frame work it also makes perfect sense why Sabo isn't Luffy's brother

I know this is the case in an abundance of South Asian, South East Asian languages, (which derive from sanskrit/prakrit) so I would not be surprised if this concept also existed in japan which only gained nuclear culture in the last 100 years.
Chinese language does not derive from Sanskrit or prakrit. In fact, I am from East Asia and I have no idea what the hell you're talking about.

Chinese and Indian culture is as different as American and Russian culture, whilst Japanese culture is definitely influenced by Chinese.

Last edited by paradox13; 2010-05-20 at 01:05.