View Single Post
Old 2012-03-22, 10:55   Link #17591
faiz blaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
As Marian repeatedly mentioned, she's not a fighter type... Then again, neither is Utgard-Loki and Sigyn... But if this is Gremlin's standard for 'not suited for combat', then what the fuck is the standard of their combat members made of ?!?! Then again, Marian seem to be solo-ing everything by herself up to this point with the other two nowhere in sight so maybe she's the exception...
Probably something along the lines of those artificial Valkyries seen in the end. Putting aside that the odds where extremely favorable for them, they were described as being capable of defeating a Saint-level magician like Brunhild (and we all know how much of a monster a Saint is).

Quote:
Secondly, I'm impressed by all the creative use of what I can assume to be pseudo-science theories, techniques and technology that Kamachi used in this volume to make the non-esper characters of Academy City seem almost as supernatural as the Magicians. It's one thing to pull myths and legends, it's another thing all together to use science fiction, and to blend both effortlessly into one takes a ton of research and one heck of an imagination.
I don't know if you can call them "pseudo"-science. That magnetic-waves user that fought against Saflee during the Natural Selector made me remember of a physics experiment that I did during my high-school days. The bits about virus and bacteria having no immunity to ultraviolet light and a film of water reducing friction that Enshuu used in her tactics are something that you can easily learn through a research in the internet. The only "science" that looked really shady in this volume was the one that Byouri used, but - in a sense - that couldn't be helped.

If anything, we really should be admiring Kamachi's hard work to make everything so realistic.

Quote:
The almost mythical status of 'Kamijou Touma' that Kamachi presents in this volume is kinda amusing- from Kagun's advise to seek him out "If you want to live", to Maria's "I've heard about him" and even Enshuu using his thought patterns as a viable weapon against another Kihara. It's super interesting seeing it from the POV of other people instead of said person's own POV... I'm not sure how to describe it... But it's like he's a superhero if you know what I mean
That's nothing new. We already saw something like that in the perceptions that Accelerator and a few other characters had on him. If there is anything different, it is simply the fact that those perceptions are now shared by an even greater number of people all over the world (I guess his newly found reputation of "being the one who stopped WW3" is not just for show after all).