View Single Post
Old 2010-07-10, 18:06   Link #141
james0246

I've seen a lot of films in the past few weeks, so, here we go (in short, though)...

Karate Kid - the romance really brought this film down, but Jackie Chan's earnest acting really helped to carry this film though its 2+ hours. 75/100.

A-Team - silly to the extreme, but damn fine popcorn fare. The actor’s obvious delight and fun really help to stomach the sheer silliness of the story. 70/100.

Predators - despite the extremely obvious storyline (I predicted the order of the character's deaths with a 100% accuracy rating, and even predicted exactly how the Japanese character would die (right down to the billowing tall grass) ), but generally well acted (Laurence Fishburne was very good as an insane soldier), with good tension and decent pacing. 72/100.

Toy Story 3 - I'm going to be hated for this, but I didn't like Pixar's latest fare. Predictable and obviously manipulative in its quest to instill a sense of nostalgia in every frame, TS3 was a very unneeded sequel to what was an already unneeded sequel (TS2). What's even worse, though, is how simplistic and uninteresting the plot truly is. There is no real development of the characters (the same themes of betrayal have been carted out for all 3 films now, with only the first film being in any way interesting), and known gags are reused ad infinitum (something weird happens to Buzz, Mr. Potato falls apart, Mrs. Potato is annoyingly shrill, Slinky stretches, etc). Added to that are the lack of interesting set pieces (Sunny Hills (whatever) is a bore, with Sir Hugs-A-Lot being a very weak remake of Kelsey Grammer's Stinky Pete from the second film; the only worthwhile set-piece is the Landfill). Also, the 3-D sucked. All in all, a very unworthy entry in the Pixar pantheon (not as bad as Cars though...). Still, the film is extremely well done, so 70/100.

Cyrus - Very charming and funny romantic comedy. An extremely touching film at times, the actors handle their subject matter with a deft, but humorous, hand. 80/100

The Kids Are All Right - Very strong dramady that is unpretentious in its look at modern families in America circa 2010. Extremely well acted all around, with a smart script and good dialogue. 86/100.

Despicable Me – Very charming 3-D animated feature. Simplistic to the extreme, but very honest in its intentions and desires. Very good acting on the part of Carrel, with the child characters adorable to the extreme (though there isn't much backstory there). 80/100.

Can't wait to see [Rec]2...

---

The worst...

Airbender - Painfully bad with only 1 or 2 redeeming battle sequences keeping this film above near desolation levels. 32/100.

Grown Ups - charming premise, albeit done a 100+ times before, that is hampered by it's star-studded cast (okay, only Selma Hayek is realistically a "star" anymore). 52/100.

Twilight - Boring to the extreme and painfully average. 50/100.

Last edited by james0246; 2010-07-11 at 01:31.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote