View Single Post
Old 2004-01-08, 02:05   Link #22
Eelco

To Piccahoe

The correct way of writing would be:
ぼく の にほんご は じょうず で は ありません。

If you type it without spaces and hit the space bar at the end of the sentence, you would get this:
僕の日本語は上手ではありません。

To Roots,

Thank you for the tips

I've been working ahead a bit, and the ["A" wa "B" da] construction will be introduced in the 3rd lesson, though the full intricacies won't be explained until the 5th lesson. The problem with "da" is that it's a verb which behaves very differently from other verbs, so I decided to introduce that one later, after people will have had the chance to get used to the regular verbs. (Unfortunately all the most useful constructions have grammatical difficulties which should be slowly introduced.).

I know that it's quite overwhelming to see kanji on the first lesson (I know I'm evil ), but I think it's good to get used to them right away. I'm hoping that having the sentences in hiragana as well as kanji will enable people to use the course even if they don't know kanji. But the lack of spaces in Japanese can make hiragana sentences very hard to read.

I remember that in the beginning I thought that life would be so much easier if the Japanese would just abolish kanji. Now I know I wouldn't be able to make heads or tails of the language if they would.

I tried to pick simple kanji like 山 and 川 and such, but the second set of kanji you recommended ( 大, 小 ) has the problem of being conjugated adjectives ( 大きい, 小さい ) or part of a word with more complex kanji ( 大学, 小便 ).

If you want to focus on learning kanji only, Kanji Site is a very good one. And if you prefer to learn useful phrases Japanese Online is a great site. But I haven't found any (free) sites that combine the two into a unified whole. That's why on Japanese 101 I decided to use a structure in which you learn both at the same time.

I noticed that people learn things more easily if they can play with a test to see how many they already know. I will be creating online tests later on for hiragana, kanji, and grammar, but at the moment my attention is on the lessons and the grammar section. (The latter is gonna be especially large, with probably well over 50 reference pages.)

Last edited by Eelco; 2006-03-14 at 02:32.
Eelco is offline   Reply With Quote