View Single Post
Old 2010-05-04, 23:03   Link #3684
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
It is an automatic response AI program, something like ALICE.

Nope, we don't have a thread here, since most of us are just contented with the moekkos, which are highly abundant, in this forum.

You can ask Vexx though, he probably worked on things like that during his tenure as an MIB in the 80s.
But its a *hilarious* Racter/ALICE sort of bot in that it talks to many people, takes their inputs and meshes it all with its own internal database to respond in each dialog taking place.

Racter was an experiment in the '80s that actually had a short life in truncated form as a commercial "game". It used an internal root database coupled with the user's own inputs to simulate a somewhat bizarre conversation with a possibly mentally ill person.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racter

Sometimes its my assertion that the "Internet" comes on the CD disk you used to get access and everyone you "meet" are just little programs on the disk. This bit of existential humor has lost something since the AOL disks are mostly gone...

Personally, the main intercepts I had with "AI" were these:
1) automating the Shuttle using a fuzzy logic controller and scripts (early cargo shuttle research)
2) developing a prototype "adaptive feedback smart controller" for Manned Maneuvering Units (astronaut jetpacks). They were supposed to handle all the grubby details so the astronaut could focus on turning the screwdriver (or whatever) while the system executed the appropriate inertial positioning response. We ended up doing digital Kalman filtering with fuzzy logic actuation.
3) I play with neural circuit simulation on and off again... but timesink.