Thread: Food you cook
View Single Post
Old 2012-05-29, 14:04   Link #275
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

In New England, there is some good seafood in this region (like New England clam chowder). There are some fish dishes people like up here (like a white fish baked dish, baked with buttery crackers on top of it, or sometimes bread crumbs). But the type of sea fish that is sold around here, to take home and pan fry, is stuff I'm not big on. Things like Cod and Haddock. Those are prominent in the seas near where I live. They aren't too good until you liven them up like with baking them with a buttery cracker topping like I mentioned (known as baked scrod), or making a fish or seafood stew out of them.

We do have Salmon (which is good for pan frying) at just about any place you can buy fish, and I think most times it is Salmon from the Atlantic. I'm not sure if there are shrimp and scallops in the seas of New England, but there is plenty of that on sale at our supermarkets. Clams and oysters are found at seafood restaurants here, too. Clams and oysters are found in our waters. Lobster is pretty popular with a lot of people in this region. Most of the lobster for the whole country is from waters by Maine and the seas north of Maine, I believe. Clam strips, clam rolls, lobster rolls and lobster sandwiches and lobster bisque are some other popular types of seafood in this region. Fish and chips is a popular seafood dish here, and salmon is big with people here.

New England has its own distinct type of seafood offering. As for other parts of North America, I know that the Gulf of Mexico has its own distinct offering for seafood, as does parts of the west coast. Florida probably has some tropical fish, Maryland is big on crab, a lot of people near the coasts in Louisiana like spiced up seafood, craw fish is big in the south, catfish is big in the south, I know San Fran offers up some good seafood, and in the Northwest and up into Canada, there is lots of Alaskan King Crab and pacific salmon. I know there are a lot of rainbow trout fisheries in Idaho and states around Idaho. They will ship their products nationwide.

Oh, and then there is Hawaii. I imagine seafood from Hawaii is pretty good, and unique from the rest of the country. I've never been there. I'd like to eat more tropical fish.