View Single Post
Old 2010-08-07, 18:04   Link #293
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
But Rules don't need to be logical or intuitive to you; they just need to be TRUE!
No doubt. But my issue isn't with truth; it's with fiction.

Quote:
The same way that at certain temperature and pressure, liquid helium has no friction:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superfluid

Is it "logical" or intuitive" that a liquid you pour into a cup will climb out and escape all by itself if not fully sealed up? Does it make sense that if you spin a liquid in a beaker, it will keep spinning for an eternity by itself?

Well, it doesn't matter that it was counter-intuitive, because it was true. Hence a Nobel prize for Physics was awarded in 1962 to L. D. Landau.
You're looking at things from the wrong angle again. When an author is making something up, you don't get to call it scientific because there have been unexpected scientific discoveries in the real world, and you don't get to use real, irrelevant science as support for fiction.

My issue with the time traveling presented in the Haruhi universe is similar to the exception I'd take with a book about cars that run on orange juice instead of gasoline. As long as we can all agree its fiction and makes no sense, there's no problem. But once you start trying to convince me that orange juice is a legitimate fuel source, and it doesn't need to make sense because there have been instances of things in the real world that don't make sense, there very definitely is a problem. Does "Everything contracts when it gets colder except water, therefore orange juice is a valid fuel source" sound like an acceptable justification to you?

Quote:
"Scientific Thinking" is all about not holding rules as unbreakable dogmas, but temporary theories that can be improved by more analysis.
Scientific thinking IS about applying prior observation and rational thought to unexplained phenomena. But this phenomena must be REAL! You know what doesn't make sense? Quantum entanglement. I can't explain it; no one can. But I have to accept it because I live in the world where it exists. In a book, there's no such restriction. I'm fully free to say "this wouldn't work" because it's MADE UP. And here, it does matter that something is counter-intuitive, because it's NOT true.

--

Concerning the movie itself, here's something that occurred to me recently. When Kyon activated the reset program, he completely annihilated the alternate reality and all of its occupants. Does that amount to global genocide, or at least the destruction of people like Haruhi, Itsuki, Mikuru, and Yuki (since arguable the rest of the world remained fairly static between the two realities)? Is there something I'm missing that would make his action not...well, completely morally reprehensible?

Last edited by Gamer_2k4; 2010-08-08 at 00:33.