View Single Post
Old 2013-03-03, 22:36   Link #12571
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfenstein View Post
Oh, don't misunderstand.

Nishio knows exactly what his intentions were for the Medaka character, he knows the kind of beast he has created, it's just not clear if he understands the depth of the contempt he wanted to create. It's pretty clear through the manga that he intended for Medaka to be terrible/disliked, just look at the most recent poll. He uses her as a vortex for shounen tropes and people's frustrations with them as a method of contrast to her peers, her side characters.
"Side-characters" is a term I use loosely, though, because they're really the meat and fat of the manga, as far as content goes.
And through use of that contrast, Nishio makes his side-characters look and seem more dynamic and interesting. Yes, it's sort of cheap, but it's a trick that works to great effect.

The question he has to ask himself, though, is if it was worth it, or still is. For some, it never was, but for others, the trick still plays to great use. It's Nishio's "Status Quo", if you will. Current events clearly are either building up to another contrast event, or the actual elimination of that plot device altoguether. Namely, killing off Medaka. I, for one, would enjoy seeing what a story like that would play out. Maybe it's a chance for Nishio to put even more effort into his characters, good as they already are, now that he might not have that almighty vortex of shounen Mary-Sueness to aid him.

And yes, I'm mostly parafrasing people off other forums(mostly NF), I'm not a plagiarist! But I really have to give credit where credit is due when someone catches on to something.
You're free to your opinion, but I don't think Medaka was created for people to hate her, I think she was created for people to question her, to question why exactly she is the way that she is, and how she affects the people around her with that distorted way of life she had.

I seriously doubt the only thing he intended people to hold Medaka in the sort of seething contempt you have of her, certainly we aren't intended to always agree with her, but we're supposed to think why we don't agree with her, not to blindly hate her.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote