View Single Post
Old 2007-07-04, 10:20   Link #19
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

“What are the ingredients that go into making a great movie?” – Gary Oldman.

For the final review I will ever give on Sola, I will focus on a number of points, some of which may be divided into subpoints. These points are as follows;

Atmosphere
  • Background Music (Elements Garden)
  • Art Direction (J.C. Staff)
  • Animation (Nomad)

Character Handling

Main Characters
  • Shihou Matsuri (Noto Mamiko)
  • Morimiya Yorito (Okamoto Nobuhiko)
  • Morimiya Aono (Nakahara Mai)

Side Characters
  • Ishizuki Mana (Honda Youko)
  • Ishizuki Koyori (Shimizu Ai)
  • Tsujidou Takeshi (Fujiwara Keiji)
  • Kamikawa Mayuko (Kaneda Tomoko)
  • Sakura Sae (Koshimizu Ami)

Script
  • Storyline Quality
  • Pacing
  • Internal Consistency

__________________________________________________ _____________________________________

So there we have it, the basis by which I shall give my review on Sola. Ikuzo!

Atmosphere
”Dramatic lighting!”

A good anime series draws its viewing audience into its own world; to achieve that, it has to set a general mood. To create a certain mood, two things must be achieved; firstly, animation of at least decent quality animation must be present in order not to make the whole thing look too jarring to the viewer's eyes, and secondly, the appropriate set of background music must be selected, in order to convey the general emotions of any particular scene. How did Sola fare on both accounts?

Background Music (Elements Garden)
”A catchy score!”

Spoiler for length:

Rating for Background Music: 9.4/10

Art Direction (J.C. Staff)
“A spectacular location! Or two!”

Spoiler for length:

Rating for Art Direction: 7.1/10

Animation (Nomad)
“Special effects!”

Spoiler for length:

Rating for Animation: 6.8/10

To summarize, while the art design and the animation leaves some room for improvement, the music of Sola makes up quite a bit for it; the result being a package that isn’t quite complete, but a nice experience all the same. Kudos to Fujima Hitoshi, the musical director from Elements Garden, for his elegantly simple solo pieces on the piano, for it is mostly through his efforts that the Sola world retains its unique character.

Overall Rating for Atmosphere: 8.2/10

__________________________________________________ _____________________________________

Character Handling
”All the world’s a stage, and all the men and women merely players!”

A good setting lays the foundation of the world that the story takes place in; however, the characters themselves set the foundation of the story itself; indeed, the storyline of the entire series rises and falls based on how well each and every character is handled; it's a fine line between making an individual character, or indeed the entire cast, look either dull and uninteresting, or over-the-top and lacking the ability to suspend the disbelief of the audience. So how did Sola fare on this account?

Using the same formula with which I rated the Character Handling of Kanon 2006, I will be rating the performance of the seiyuus as part of the Character Handling criteria of Sola.

Main Characters

Shihou Matsuri (Noto Mamiko)
”Witty one-liners!”

Spoiler for length:

Rating for Shihou Matsuri: 6.7/10
Rating for Noto Mamiko: 7.8/10

Morimiya Yorito (Okamoto Nobuhiko)
”Something to shoot it with…and a leading man.”

Spoiler for length:

Rating for Morimiya Yorito: 6.2/10
Rating for Okamoto Nobuhiko: 6.4/10

Morimiya Aono (Nakahara Mai)
”Unresolved sexual tension.”

Spoiler for length:

Rating for Morimiya Aono: 7.2/10
Rating for Nakahara Mai: 7.8/10

Side Characters
”A great supporting cast!”

Ishizuki Mana (Honda Youko)

Spoiler for length:

Rating for Ishizuki Mana: 8.5/10
Rating for Honda Youko: 8.6/10

Ishizuki Koyori (Shimizu Ai)

Spoiler for length:

Rating for Ishizuki Koyori: 8.3/10
Rating for Shimizu Ai: 8.5/10

Tsujidou Takeshi (Fujiwara Keiji)

Spoiler for length:

Rating for Tsujidou Takeshi: 8.3/10
Rating for Fujiwara Keiji: 8.0/10

Kamikawa Mayuko (Kaneda Tomoko)

Spoiler for length:

Rating for Kamikawa Mayuko: 7.0/10
Rating for Kaneda Tomoko: N/A

Sakura Sae (Koshimizu Ami)

Spoiler for length:

Rating for Sakura Sae: 2.3/10
Rating for Koshimizu Ami 1.7/10

In conclusion, while the side characters were portrayed quite nicely in themselves, the fact remains that the plot centres around the main characters....and thus, the viewer is supposed to care mostly for the main characters. However, if the character development of the main characters fails by comparison, how can good handling of the side characters be of any help?

Overall Rating for Character Handling: 6.3/10

Script
” Love. Intrigue. Conflict. Mystery. Drama.”

A good story; that is what an audience expects, regardless of whether the medium is a book, TV, a movie, or even in this case, an anime. And to get a good story, you need a promising premise, a logical yet appetizing plot, and most importantly of all, inspired direction to make the story really shine amongst its peers. Well then, was Sola the great story we were all hoping for?

Storyline Quality
”An unexpected twist!”

Spoiler for length:

Rating for Storyline Quality: 6.4/10

Pacing
”Clear directions!”

Spoiler for length:

Rating for Pacing: 4.3/10

Internal Consistency

Spoiler for length:

Rating for Internal Consistency: 6.2/10

To summarize, Sola started off strongly with a strong premise, but managed to squander a large part of that potential through an unfortunate mixture of logical inconsistencies, jerky pacing, and an unbalanced bias for the action side of the equation in contrast to the slice-of-life side. All the blame for this falls solely on the shoulders of Nomad; in their attempt to cram as much as they could in the latter half of the series, they overbalanced and left the latter half of Sola a bit of an unresolved mess. Which is a damned pity, for the first half was really quite excellent.

In conclusion, I’ll recommend Sola Episodes 1-6, but no more than that.

Overall Rating for Script: 5.7/10

Overall Execution

Overall, I felt that Sola started off with a great premise and a lot of potential, but Nomad’s subpar handling eventually disappointed me. Perhaps the name of Hisaya Naoki inflated my expectations to an unrealistically high level, but the fact remains that I found Sola to fall below my expectations, and thus, it would never be one of my favourites.

Even so though, I still have to say that Sola’s premise still retains its great promise, and hopefully they’re make a better job out of it in the manga and/or the game. Or, God willing, a 24-episode KyoAni remake.

Final Rating for Sola: 6.4/10. Rounded down to: 6/10

”Aaaaaaand cut!” – Gary Oldman

P.S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
But in the end i am a bit disappointed, because "good" is not doing justice to something that had the potential to be great.
Oh, thy villainy! Thou hast stolen mine line, thy craven cur!!!

Last edited by Ascaloth; 2007-07-06 at 12:32.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote