Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2012-01-05, 19:26   Link #18889
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post
Well at least Obama gave it a try.
Personally I think he should have pushed them to continue to work on Hydrogen cars, since electric simply moves the pollution from gasoline to coal.
But at least the President tried.
I think Hydrogen is fairly similiar here, most Hydrogen will be gained from electrolysis of water, though some can also be gained from siphoning it from natural gas. Both are fairly energy intensive, so you're going to need a primary energy source. That could be coal, or it could be something like wind or nuclear.

I think Electric could be the better bet, as it would require little cost to implement the infrastructure for it. You'd basically charge your car from the mains. And there's mains electricity everywhere. Storing Hydrogen is a lot more finicky.

Still the important thing is that there's efforts being made. It took a lot of failed missions and smaller missions to finally get men on the moon afterall. However I'm inclined to say that there's little direct the government can do here, other then try and investigate it for military reasons. EG an electric powered walker. Would have to have a fairly long cord to supply it with power. I'd say at a max you could give it 5 minutes battery life when it gets disconnected.