View Single Post
Old 2012-04-07, 23:51   Link #216
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
If all highschool shows were this good you wouldn't be tired of them.
You hardly see them in school anyway.And there's a number of adults that popup throughout the show.
It's not just the age of the characters, but the dramatic issues the show presents. In this case the Wikipedia plot summary reads:

"Chihaya Ayase is a girl who has spent most of her life simply supporting her sister in her model career. That changes when she meets a boy named Arata Wataya, a talented karuta player. He thinks that Chihaya has a potential to become a great player. As Chihaya takes on a new dream of becoming Japan's best karuta player, she is soon separated from her karuta playing friends as they grow up. Now in high school, Chihaya still continues to play karuta in the hope that she will one day meet her friends again."

Those just aren't themes that excite me at age 62 no matter how well the show is presented. Perhaps I'll give it another try some day, but it seems a far cry from my favorite shows like Moribito, Monster, Twelve Kingdoms, Saiunkoku Monogatari, or Oh! Edo Rocket. You'll notice that all of these shows include politics as a common feature. There's very little of that in most contemporary anime.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote