View Single Post
Old 2007-02-22, 19:17   Link #39
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srin Tuar View Post
Wow, 13 volumes... I didnt realize quite how far i still have to go Ive bought up to volume 4, so that should keep me busy for a while.

Ive noticed so far that plot events seem to happen more slowly as well, so I guess I can kindof understand how the anime series could stretch out over 6 volumes.
Well, that's not including Shana vol.0 (between vol.9 and 10) and vol.S (between vol.12 and 13), so it's really 16 volumes out so far. ^^; I really want to finish the mammoth that is Owari no Chronicle first (2 more volumes to go, although one of them is over 1000 pages long ) before moving onto others though.

As for the novel development, I generally find the novel reading experience more rewarding if you don't know the story beforehand (although the same could be said for the reverse). Reading the novel after watching the anime has some level of redundancy to it (unless the event wasn't portrayed in the anime), since it's like "I already know what's going to happen, so all these details don't really mean much to me, hurry up and get to the next part already". It's a trade-off against reading the novel first before watching the anime, where you'd be going "the lack of detail/rushing of story here is really not doing the original novel justice". Either way, you gain some and you lose some. The same pretty much goes for all adaptations, whether it's Shana or Zero no Tsukaima or Haruhi.

*tries to bring topic back to Zero*
Generally though, I don't think "rushing" is nearly as bad as "skipping". Although the first season had to go into fast forward mode near the end, at least they covered the events relatively accurately. It's the "man, I wish they didn't cut that scene out" that hurts the anime's rating more.
Spoiler for from vol.2:

All this talk is making me anxious for the second season again. Give me some Siesta-on-Saito action already!
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote