View Single Post
Old 2006-11-04, 08:33   Link #119
Supergrunch
Tegenaria gigantea

Send a message via MSN to Supergrunch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khym Chanur View Post
Some questions:

1) According to Wikipedia, the "kana kana" with which Rena often ends her sentences is an onomatopoeia for the sounds that the cicadas make. But according to the anime, putting "kana kana" after a sentence is something like adding "Huh? Huh?" after a sentence. Which is right?

2) I've read that "Higurashi" means something like "turning dark", and is used to refer to certain cicadas that start making their noises when it starts turning dark. Is this a species or genus of cicada native to Japan, or is any cicada that makes noise at that particular time a higurashi?

3) What is the "distinction" that Mion, Shion and her grandmother keep talking about? Punishment? Why didn't Rika understand it's use in context? Also, wasn't the tattoo on Mion's back called a distinction?

4) Did Yukie (Mamoru Akasaka's wife) used to live in Hinamizawa? One of the TIPS seems to imply so (though I can't remember which one).

5) In the first seven "games", there isn't any game play, you just keep on clicking to go from one scene to the next (so I've read; I haven't played the game). But the final chapter, Matsuribayashi-hen, seems to have some sort of gameplay to it. There are fifty pieces which can be read somewhat out of order, but not entirely, since some pieces must be read before others in order to unlock the other pieces. Then, after having read all of them, you somehow have to "put the pieces together", like some sort of mental jig-saw puzzle (at least, that's how I interpret the prologue). What's the gameplay for fitting the pieces together?

6) This refers to TIPS titled Note of Grudges?, and concerns spoilers for ep 12 (or maybe ep 13?)

Spoiler:
7) Someone had asked earlier about the ages of the main characters. From TIPS titled Keiichi's Past (spoilers for ep 25). A small quote (not much of a spoiler), from before Keiichi's family moved to Hinamizawa:

So, before moving, he was in 9th grade (since secondary school in Japan is 10th to 12th grades). The story arcs involving him take place in June. He moved to the village a month before, or in May. The Japanese school year starts in April. So, if the events described in "Keiichi's Past" took just one month (took place during April), and his family moved immediatly afterwards (at the beginning of May), then Keiichi is still in 9th grade. If the events took longer, and/or the family spent some time deciding where to move next, then he'd be in 10th grade.

EDIT:

8) Spoiler for ep 13:
Spoiler:
1- both.
8- IIRC, in the game, it was a tiny rope bridge. (not having got this far in the game, was it the bridge going to the rubbish heap?)
Supergrunch is offline   Reply With Quote