View Single Post
Old 2008-02-17, 16:38   Link #7
dj_tjerk
Ana-chan~

Quote:
Originally Posted by pichus View Post
@dj_tjerk: as for extensions, since you're treating yourself at the same level as the artist by recreating the object in the anime, why not just credit yourself as the artist in the opening/ending credits? ;o
That's what credits are for right? :P Then i don't see any more reason to credit myself for anything more than typesetting. It's not like i'm creative enough to come up with something, it's just that removing japanese, replacing it with english and giving it the same kind of look is much easier than making it look exactly the same (people tend to see difference quite easily).

Anyway, i don't really buy anime, but i remember the R1 FMA logo being totally different from the original logo in the anime. Also (not blaming anyone), a.f.k. seems to remove the japanese sometimes too, putting just english in place (SZS ep1, never watched beyond that ), and i have to say it doesn't look half bad.. At least half the screen is not filled with gibberish/random characters (that's what they look like to me, 'noise')

Quote:
Originally Posted by endy View Post
That is not true, you get a lot of elitism when it comes to typesetting, ts'ers are proud of their work and often sneer at decent typesets for not being excellent.
I remember me sneer at pichu (thinking he was just a wannabe afx-karaoker) about a year ago (not knowing he had waaaaaay more experience than i have >_>, he even taught me basic typesetting after that xD). So be careful who you sneer at :P (general statement)

Also.. typesetters are proud of their work, and they should be (as afaik, i costs the most time out of every fansubbing 'job'). However, most of the time there's a limit to how much time/effort a person can put in, and then, as a typesetter, you have to make compromises. If every signs were to be made perfect, one would still be working on one's first episode. Also, for one person, animating particles is hell, when for the other, drawing in photoshop is hell. Noone's perfect. Plus, signs look easier when you don't have to do it (meaning, you don't work in that particular group working on that particular show), and often people don't realise how much time is put into getting a sign 'decent', or getting the other signs 'perfect'.

I don't know what point i was trying to make; i guess.. i don't really have one :P

Last edited by dj_tjerk; 2008-02-17 at 16:49.
dj_tjerk is offline   Reply With Quote