View Single Post
Old 2004-02-12, 00:37   Link #8
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfl
I like Archie too, but mostly because the girls are so fashionable. ^__^ ... I still read it occasionally...
Nice to hear from someone else who has read and enjoyed it.

The point I was making about the topic was that TIME's comics "expert," beyond his lack of interest for shoujo manga, doesn't really know or think that much about American comics either. The whole article reeks of modern identakit journalism - 10 minutes worth of research into something vaguely unpleasant anchored in "reality" by statistics and a couple of quotes from interested parties.

The paragraph about "Death" is rather confused. Wouldn't it make more sense to say that the current interest in the Japanese titles has inspired American comics rather than call Jill Thompson "American-born shoujo talent?" Thompson, after all, is an established comics pro who took an old series and gave it a new look.

This article overall demonstrates the gap between the values of the fans and the onlookers. I just hope people like Andrew Arnold don't infect the manga world with the empty nostalgia that has haunted comics for the last 30 years...

I wonder if this mini-boom is going to translate into more interest in shoujo and mahou shoujo anime in the future. After all, the original audience for these shows consists of manga readers who watch adaptations of their favorite titles.

Last edited by babbito2k; 2004-02-12 at 06:28.