Thread: Licensed Mouretsu Pirates
View Single Post
Old 2012-01-08, 22:13   Link #269
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
Maybe I am getting a little too worked up about all the complaining for what seems to be no other reason but to complain.

Seriously? I really don't know why people keep coming back to this one scene and comparing it to Madoka?

The mysterious transfer student plot device thing has been done to death in anime for decades...
Oh yes, mysterious transfer students are common, but the tone and style of introducing the mysterious transfer student was very Madoka.

It's to be expected that a huge hit like Madoka is going to have some impact on other animes. Just as Evangelion, and Haruhi, and Fullmetal Alchemist did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewin View Post
quite an interesting anime. I really want to know how pirates can be legal. How can it work in this universe?
Wikipedia knows all about it.

John Paul Jones
from the Revolutionary War is probably the most famous American "legal pirate". (And I'm guessing that the American privateers from the War of Independence is the historical inspiration for the legal Space Pirates in this show). JP Jones actually attacked England.

Of course, technically JP Jones was an actual naval officer, not a privateer or a pirate, but the English all labeled him a pirate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
With a title like "Space pirates in miniskirt", I expected the worst, but it was surprisingly good. It does have that "old" anime feel which nowadays feels fresh. I'm not completely sold on it yet since I'm not entirely sure which direction the show will take, but this first episode definitely piqued my interest. It seems like it could really be "Harlock in miniskirt".

I'm so sorry, but you forced me to do this:

I feel dirty now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by octoberasian View Post
Definitely agree.

I enjoyed the first episode more than I should have. Like others mentioned above, it's like a homage to the space operas of the 80s, 90s. Memories of my childhood came back to me. Aside from mecha and mahou shoujo, I've been a fan of these kind of anime shows for a long time. I would have thought this genre died a long time ago.

The characters are cute and likable so far especially Marika. It reminded me partly of Yamamoto Yohko and Sora wo Kake Girl for some reason, but I'm sure there's more to it than that. I'm really looking forward to the next episode now.
Funny enough I think the story premise reminds me more of the book Treasure Island then any of the old anime space adventures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Well the only remain Privateers if they are still working (legally) under a government. If they are no longer under a contract, and still prey on ships "at sea" or attack anything, then they are Pirates.

Of course in anime there are variations on pirates. There is the traditional pirate out for money, and then there is the Matsumoto pirate out because he is (fight the good fight, be a man about it, don't give a damn what the Earth governement has to say about it)....see pretty much any version of Captain Harlock or Queen Emeraldas for reference.
My guess is going to be that the governments screwed up when issuing the Letters of Marque and issued them in perpetuity, with a clause for inheritance, and no clause covering revocation. I'm assuming the war was expected to last several generations and that the privateers were expected to act independently without resupply or communication with the issuing government. (Not that unrealistic considering historical privateers).

The government probably failed to take into account the idea that they would win and that the privateers would be unwilling to relinquish their letters of Marque.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?

Last edited by Sackett; 2012-01-08 at 22:51.
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote