View Single Post
Old 2013-04-11, 17:14   Link #1734
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogon_bat View Post
After reading about the recent death of Zero no Tsukaima writer, I decided to write what is on my mind. I have read here and there that Boku ha tomodachi ga sukunai's author has health problems that have delayed his work, etc. I have the feeling that it is all a lie (Like the lie about the Illness of the mangaka that does Kannagi) and the delays are due to the fact that the author is a troublesome person to deal with. I think that it is an offense to the people that have real health issues to give that reason as an scapegoat.
Well, I think that's a bit of a hateful thing to say. I'm not sure what evidence you're using to say that the author of Kannagi was "lying"; was she not admitted to hospital for her issues (and was it not explained what condition she had)? And further, I'm not sure what line you're drawing to decide whether someone's health problems are "legitimate" or "a lie". Do you need to review their doctor's note yourself to believe them? I find that this is a bit of a twisted view of the authors. Creativity is not just a faucet that you turn on and off at will, and there can be a variety of conditions -- both physical and mental/psychological -- that can severely interfere with your ability to be productive. I'm not going to sit here and judge them and say "you're not sick enough to use that excuse". I don't know what they're going through.

I do know that the Haganai author moved to Tokyo so that he could be closer to the animation team working on this past season of the work, and was also officially credited as sharing the Story Planning task for the anime. Moving to a new location and being involved with that project may have taken a toll on him and taken him out of his normal routine. But I don't know what he's going through and I'm not going to say we're being lied to or that he doesn't have "real health issues" -- whatever that means... I sort of imagine you sitting there and being like "if you're not either dead or dying, get back to work."

(I was quite sad by the news of that author's death too... but still, I don't think other authors deserve this spectre of doubt you're casting over them.)