Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Maoyuu Maou Yuusha
View Single Post
Old 2013-01-10, 16:53   Link #689
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveyard Duck View Post
I disagree with the assertion that the series would be fundamentally uninteresting because the Demon King is the only one with a grasp of an advanced social theory. One approach would be to make a series of how the person chooses to force the world to implement her methods where no one of consequence has a grasp of the theory. Take the first book in Foundation as an example: One of the two postulates of psychohistory is that the subject of psychohistorical study does not know psychohistory. Thus, the interesting conflict of that part of the story comes with how the psychohistorians manipulate an imperium that thinks they are kooks. Here in Maoyu, the Demon King leaves her throne to travel with the Hero so she can reach the human world. By doing so, she relinquishes the possibility of tight control over the demon world. And she did not ever have control over the human world. Thus, Maoyu's setup allows it to show us how the Demon King intends to implement her plans.
FWIW I just think it would be boring because in this case it boils down to one person being Right and everyone else being Wrong, Ignorant or Misguided who need to be set right by the one being right as if she was some sort of a Messiah. Which is not a dynamic I particularly enjoy. (Also, in this particular setting I find it very difficult to believe that the Demon King is the only one who ever sat down and did some thinking and reached these conclusions.)
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote