View Single Post
Old 2011-08-30, 14:42   Link #1234
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
That describes their origins from a temporal perspective. They exist to prevent a temporal paradox. I don't even buy that they're "manifested despair", personally. They exist because otherwise history would change too radically to hold to the spirit of Madoka's wish.
For me, both are the same thing. After all the idea of balance implies that everything is connected, so it makes sense from that perspective.

Quote:
We don't even get a closeup of her Soul Gem, nor do we see Madoka's interaction with her (and Madoka is visiting all Magical Girls at their end, not just the Turning ones). My explanation is just as consistent as yours, but mine doesn't suppose that everyone in Sayaka's life is being brainwashed by the universe to be a dick to her.
Your explanation just doesn't up IMO.

Quote:
'Distortion' insinuates that cause and effect and the natural order are being thrown off-kilter somehow. As far as we know this isn't happening outside of the scope of Kyouko's wish. Her father, an emotionally unstable, highly religious man learns that his family is profiting off of mind control and hypnosis, and loses his shit.
Why of course. Didn't QB said once and again that magical girls' existence is dictated by Karma? In fact, since the moment the idea of "balance" was brought to the table, it was clear Urobuchi's universe has a sort of Karmic nature, so nothing happen "just because". A magical girl's wish has an effect on reality, and reality kicks back to compensate, not because the magical girls system is made that way, but because Madoka's entire universe (including the mg system) is made that way. There was no reason for Kyouko's father to learn that Kyouko was a magical girl, but he did: it's called karma.

Quote:
Actually, no, the "Kamijou never saw Sayaka as a love interest and was in a hurry to get back to his life" thing is Word of God.
Who cares if Kamijou didn't love her. But he was a good friend of hers, and he was sorry he treated her badly in episode 4 (remember?) and he knew that little party on the building's rooftop (when he played the violin for his family and teacher) had been arranged by Sayaka too. In other words, he had a lot of reasons to talk to her when he got out of the hospital, if only to thanks her for all she did for him. But he didn't. Again, Karma.

Quote:
So then why are you taking THIS metaphor to the literal extent? You're being picky and choosy if you're acknowledging that Gen doesn't always keep to the letter of his metaphors.
That's not what I said. What I said is he doesn't make things (not ideas, but explanation to specific events) totally clear so he has more room for plot developments. Things that can not be explained easily then can be attributed to the way his universe works. In other words, what I'm saying is that what you believe is a metaphor isn't actually a metaphor, but an overall explanation of the mechanics of Urobuchi's world.

Quote:
This is just a copout for you to write in your personal fanon. He's more clear than you're giving him credit for, here. His core ideas are discernible.
Again, I never said his ideas aren't clear. What is not clear are concrete events, like why Kyouko's father learned about her being a magical girl and went from eccentric but overall loving father to bat-shit crazy killer, or why Kamijo went from a good (and thankful) friend to completely indifferent. You may come up with explanations for these events by yourself if you think hard enough, but that just shows how the series doesn't provide clear ones. The only explanation the show ever gives about pretty much everything that happens in Madoka's world is this idea of Karma, of balance. That's why it doesn't make sense to me to dismiss it as a metaphor. And it's not fanon because I didn't make up the idea of karma/balance as a major influence in Madoka's universe by myself. Of course, to think this concept is not just a metaphor is my take, my opinion, and is as valid as your opinion that it is.

Anyway, I'm getting tired of this. If we can't find a point in common then let's just agree to disagree and be done with it.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2011-08-30 at 16:43.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote