View Single Post
Old 2007-09-13, 20:08   Link #133
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

References: Kagami's Typing Skills

I'm going to keep this thread alive by adding bits and bits of references. Please feel free to discuss or offer corrections.

I think most of you got that joke about Kagami typing on Konata's computer is about Japanese input, probably not many of you understood exactly what is so funny about it. First of all the Japanese input system works by having the person type in the kana in romaji or kana-keys, and then if Kanji is needed the Input system will automatically map to a best guess kanji or compound based on your most recent usage history. Due to the fact that many Japanese words has similar sounds, this can cause quite a bit of confusion if you're using another person's computer and its kanji conversion history isn't what you expected. The conversion system also works for katakana or even English alphabets as well. Hence the background of this sketch.

I'm going to break down each sentence into what Kagami wanted to write, what she ended up writing, and my take on how it got that way.

Sentence #1

What Kagami wanted to write:

「最近少し不調だったのですが、」(Saikin sukoshi fuchou datta no desu ga,)

"Although recently the conditions were a little bad"
[不調 (fuchou) = bad condition]

What Kagami actually wrote:

「最近少し婦長だったのですが、」 (Saikin sukoshi fuchou datta no desu ga)

"Although recently it was a little head-nursed."
[婦長 (fuchou) = senior or head nurse]

The joke is that the kana "fuchou" was mapped to "Head Nurse" instead of "Bad Condition". It seemed that Konata spend a lot of time talking about Nurses, which are popular characters on many eroge. Perhaps there's a game which featured a Head Nurse and she spend time online discussing strategies to past her stage to get to the "good stuff".

Sentence #2

「間に合いそうなので」 (Maniai sou nano de)

"Since it looks like it's going to be on time"

「マニア移送なので」 (Mania isou nano de)

"Due to 'Mania Transfer'.."

For an otaku the subject of being a Mania of something sure comes up a lot, but I'm not sure why "transfer"'s about... perhaps it's a techie word used often in sci-fi anime and games.

Sentence #3

「もっと助走をつけて、」(Motto Jyosou wo tsukete,)

"Adding more approach,"
[助走 (Jyosou) = an approach]

「もっと女装をつけて、」 (Motto Jyosou wo tsukete,)

"Adding more crossplay"
[女装 (Jyosou) = drag or cossplay in verb form]

Maybe Konata has a thing for crossplaying akiba maido and "man-faye".

Sentence #4

「かつ勢いだけじゃなく委員会の雰囲気も大切にしつつ、」
(Katsu ikioi dake janaku iinkai no funiki mo taisetsu ni shitsutsu)

"Moreover we should pay attention to not only the energy but also the mood of the committee."

「かつ勢いだけじゃなく委員会のふいんき(←なぜか変換できない)も大切にしつつ、」
(Katsu ikioi dake janaku iinkai no fuinki (<- nazeka henkan dekinai) mo taisetsu ni shitsutsu)

"Moreover we should pay attention to not only the energy but also the fuinki (<- somehow this can't be converted) of the committee."

The joke here I believe is that the word 雰囲気 (fu n i ki, mood) is very often misspelled phonically as "fu i n ki", and of course the input system won't be able to convert it to correct kanji. Some folks in 2ch then added the sentence "(<- somehow this can't be converted)" after writing ふいんき in hiragana, and it became the defacto form of the word for mood (雰囲気) in 2ch as a running joke. Kagami made a typical typo, but what came out is all 2ch otaku-ness. Some even invented a new kanji compount 不陰気 (fuinki) to add to the Input system and use it in the same joking manner; this new word looked very negative so it probably has the notion of "negative mood" attached to it. This is very 2ch-ish so I wish some expert would explain more to us.

Sentence #5

「課題の内容を詳しく詰めて行きたいと」
(Kadai no naiyou wo kuwashiku tsumete ikitai to)

"(We) will want to continue to discuss the content of the assignment in detail."
[内容 (naiyou) = content]
[行きたい (ikitai) = wanting to continue or go]

「課題の無いようをkwsk詰めて逝きたいと」
(Kadai no nai you wo kwsk tsumete ikitai to)

"(We) will want to kwsk-ly discuss the nothingness of the assignment and then die"
[無いよう (naiyou) = way or manner of nothing]
[逝きたい (ikitai) = wanting to die]

A lot of funny bits here. First of course "naiyou" was mapped into some nonsensical netoge speak. "kwsk" is the short hand form for romanized form of "kuwashiku" (詳しく), and it actually means "Explain more in detail" or "Please tell me more about it". It seemed to have gotten started in 2ch's live news boards. Konata seemed very curious about something... hmmm... The ikitai joke was not a 2ch usage as far as I know, but it sure is common amon suicidal kids... should we be worrying about Kona-chan?

One last note about this segment - Kagami seemed to be a bit lazy. She can easily go back and change the conversion before committing the sentence. But I guess if she has done that, there would be no joke won't it?

Last edited by AVPlaya; 2007-09-14 at 17:13.