View Single Post
Old 2006-09-15, 14:33   Link #19
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by arias
Of course, and it's highly debatable whether the products that came after FF7 were good. Dirge of Cerberus, Advent Children had their fair share of detractors. "Milked" is more of an intention to make money than anything else, and ride on the success of an established franchise or series or game.
This pretty much sums up my opinion.

It seems to me that perhaps SE realized that even in the post-FFVII era, their seventh is still arguably their biggest success in terms of popularity. Maybe they were hoping to repeat that with the succeeding Final Fantasies, but eventually when they looked back at their past creations, they went "Well, there's that FFVII we made back then, you know..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by arias
Square did not have an attitude of producing direct sequels or related games to existing standing products.. however, things have changed since they became Squeenix and the Enix president took over as Preisdent of Squeenix. Remember, FFX seemed to have been designed as a standalone with an ambiguous ending, but it was the first ever game to have the milking process start on it.
Perhaps this is just hearsay, but wasn't it because of Sakaguchi that direct sequels (or something similar) of Final Fantasies weren't pursued? I heard that from a creative perspective, he thinks of Final Fantasy as one whole series made up of different and separate stories, hence why sequels back then weren't the common thing. Now that he's gone, that option is available for SE, especially after their first movie venture. Actually, even if he's still part of SE I suspect that milking some of the previous works would eventually cross his mind anyway, seeing as how it seems to be a profitable success so far.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote