View Single Post
Old 2007-10-08, 03:55   Link #49
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branduil View Post
It's not wrong. You can't recover lost information, unless you make it up. Due to the nature of anime, it is easier to use filters to make things sharper, since anime typically contains lots of contrast lines and few complex textures, but you're still not recovering lost information. However, if there are any scenes with highly-detailed textures or backgrounds, you won't be able to recover those details.
You understand the concept of interpolation, right? You take information from neighboring pixels, and based on these information on the spatial and temporal axis, filters can interpolate (or "guess" or "make up") information how the newly generated pixel should look like.

These guesses are usually very similar along lines. Which means that if the level of detail within the low-resolution original is low, interpolating on and on (too much) yields strange-looking color areas where lines are - usually grey with a blurry halo. Ugly.

Now if you happen to have a very crisp, clean and well-defined original source (down to many single-pixel parts in the example of the bell staff I linked first), these interpolations can yield very pleasing results to the eye. Also, as I wrote before, in my experience the rule of thumb is ~1.5x as upscale factor before the results become significanty flawed.

You don't "recover" information (you can't - you're right there), you interpolate/guess it. And the result is most certainly more pleasing to the eyes.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote