View Single Post
Old 2007-10-08, 13:14   Link #59
kintaro

good job defending the term HD everyone. if there's a "standard" worthy of being protected at all, then it is obviously HD in all its glory (full-HD 24p anyone?)
owning a 32"ws TV myself, all I can say is: scaling is everything, HD is nothing.

the scaler of my TV is - truth be told - a worthless piece of cake(replace with appropriate term). while todays video-renderers' scalers are far better than my TV's, it is still not the best result you can get. so what I do is upscaling and some supersampled AA(yes, FAKE AA..), sometimes sharpening and/or contrast enhancing via ffdshow/avisynth. easily maxing out every CPU I owned so far (current being a 3800+x2) for plain SD playback. I must be an idiot for wasting all that CPU time for such a neglectible effect, bleh. thanks for making me realise.

honestly, if you have a raw which obviously went through some very decent scaling, why scrap it just for the sake of "but, but,... it wasn't aired in HD!11" ?!? if there is anyone here able to produce a better result by upscaling the SD version (or a downscaled version of the raw in general, no need for any disadvantage through xvid reencoding) I will gladly change my opinion.

until then I'll just keep the MHD version and tag it accordingly for future reference
kintaro is offline   Reply With Quote