View Single Post
Old 2010-03-10, 10:02   Link #65
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

The main issue I have with this system is that positive rep is given out so frequently for things like simply having a thread in the Fan Creations forum or posting in the "Rate that Signature!" thread that it's almost entirely meaningless. I'm not against people getting rep for posting their creations at all but I constantly see comments like "grats on starting your thread, here's your rep" which completely disregard any of the actual content, and I feel like that defeats the entire purpose. I've seen posters with rep through the roof who have never really contributed to any sort of intelligent discussion or worse, tend to be outright trolls.

Quote:
Well... in response to the debate I have looked at alternatives, other possible mechanics. I settled on one that involves a 1 for 1 exchange (you give rep from your own jar, to use the cookies analogy). The interface is then changed to allow you to say how many you give, if any. You must always comment, but don't need to actually give a cookie. No negatives; the system is self limiting because the number of cookies only grows with new users, if you want to just leave a criticism, you can. Hidden rep is actually disabled1 rather than just hidden. There are some other details, but I've only hacked a prototype mod so far. I've not "play-tested" the mechanics or discussed the details with the other staff yet, so don't hold your breath.
I really like this idea as I feel like it would completely curb what I complained about above. It would have to be coupled with some sort of reset though as some people already have so much rep it wouldn't matter how much they give out.

Kind of on the fence in regards to negative rep though. I've used it several times to successfully stop stupidity and flame wars from invading a thread but then I see topics like http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...?t=5523&page=9 where people are constantly getting negged just for not liking a certain character.