View Single Post
Old 2012-06-23, 05:43   Link #29264
haguruma

Send a message via ICQ to haguruma Send a message via MSN to haguruma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kealym View Post
So, about the day'
1. Battler returns in 1985, she isn't too serious with George yet. No drama.
2. Battler returns in 1986, lolexplosion.
3. Battler returns in 1987, she's already married to George. No drama.
[...]
Well, putting aside that 1986 isn't really a "deadline" for exposing Kinzo's death, it's as you say
I think it's not that hard to actually call it at least a symbolical deadline. The siblings practically said during their meetings that they wouldn't let this conference go by without knowing the true condition of Kinzô. This pretty much makes October 6th the final due-date for the revelation of Kinzô's death.

All in all you could probably add these things to the list.

1. Battler returns in 1985: Shannon hasn't bonded with George enough. She would probably have given up "Shannon" and "Kanon" for Battler, leading to probably a negative reaction from at least George, as Jessica had not really decided on "being interested in Kanon" yet.
She is already in possession of the gold and has knowledge of the bomb but has not tested the explosives yet (this is given as December 1985 in the anime), which might indicate that she had no intention of using the bomb then.
The siblings find Krauss' and Natsuhi's behaviour suspicious and if Battler (maybe with Yasu's help) solved the epitaph, the scheme sorrounding the cover-up would be blown.
"Beatrice" plays her little mystery game which might get out of control as it apparently did in 1986, though the pressure because of the doubt about Kinzô isn't that big yet, there is not that much pressure from George and Jessica and many of the financial situations of the siblings have not yet reached the point of total collapse.

2. Battler returns in 1986: The situation as presented.

3. Battler returns in 1987: Feelings for Battler in the form of "Beatrice" might resurface if he actually returned to the island, which would lead to her wanting to play her mystery game despite being already with George.
Though this doesn't seem to make much sense because wasn't it elaborated that she would actually kill off her feelings for anybody else once she had that little trial of lovers thingy in her heart?!

What's bothering me right now is, what was actually meant with "Battler returning 1 year later"? Because it was made pretty clear that 1986 would be the last family conference for many reasons, even without Battler's immediate presence.
Okay, this means that there would be no explosion without Battler. But does that also mean that nobody solved the epitaph without Battlers presence? This would pretty much imply that it was him who solved it, wouldn't it?! Okay...there was n Beatrice mystery game if Battler didn't return so nobody felt pressured to solve it...but still Kinzô's death would have been known and there would be no further need for any family conferences.

Quote:
It's also my opinion that when Krauss is described as broke, he's being called broke relative to how wealthy the family USUALLY is. I mean, he still has enough money to pay 7-ish servants, maintain the house, and put on some superficial airs, presumably.
I think Ryûkishi actually meant to imply that the whole family was in the exact sense of the word not only broke, but in terrible debts.
Look at real world rich people. Many can go by for some years without even themselves noticing that they are actually not only out of money but already in debts. Krauss put all of Kinzô's money into those highly risky projects, none of which payed off (if they were even real in the first place) and isn't it even implied that he sold shares of the island due to his resort project? And the other siblings aren't off that much better, with Rosa's company probably being in the red numbers from the very beginning, Hideyoshi's company being pretty much out of his control (and Eva being without working experience) and Rudolph also pretty much implied to have debts in the wrong places.

It's also told that in the aftermath of the Rokkenjima incident Eva was first pretty much broke and had to sell most of Kinzô's possession's before she got into money again (probably life and property insurances being paid only after it was "proven" to be an "accident").

I really think their situation was a lot more dire than what we could assume by their "everyday behaviour".
haguruma is offline   Reply With Quote