View Single Post
Old 2009-07-08, 17:46   Link #70
chounokoe

Send a message via MSN to chounokoe
@Klashikari:
I think the biggest problem I have with your opinion is that you seem to have the opinion that what was in the anime until now was not only 'not good enough for your taste', but not good in any way and a disgrace to the original work and that no viewer can enjoy this series because they don't understand it.

But isn't it true, that the anime adaption works now as a completely standalone medium? The anime viewers are not required to look anything up in the novel so far.
Of course there were things, like the gold ingot in this episode, which were a bit rushed compared to the novel, but on there own, they worked.

What you seem to have expected was a 1:1 adaption of what the novel served, which would have exposed anime only viewers to approximately 2-3 episodes of 'people running around in a mansion and being mean to each other' to break it down to the simple facts what most people I know thought of Umineko before it started to...start.
Most anime viewers (not even all novel readers, myself included) want to see again and again how bad most siblings treat the servants, how much they want the money...I think every person old enough to watch Umineko knows the standard formula.

The anime is NOT the visual novel in motion, it is an anime adaption and in that way also an interpretation of the original work.

And in that manner I really liked episode 2, it featured what had to be in the episode. The only thing that really bothered me was, that we had no visual clue as to where Eva and Hideyoshi were when all other characters were shown around midnight.