View Single Post
Old 2011-06-30, 19:27   Link #3183
IkuzeMinna
Shall we?

First of all, welcome Kyardan, mirei and Karla.

Those character designs... Variety isn't something they're big on in FT, is it? Seriously, Milliardo Naina looks manlier than her bro. And what's up with "colony leader Heero Yuy"? You'd think he'd be more jovial than our solemn sack of joy turned Gundam pilot. Or maybe he's just really tired of having Katrina interrupt his every sentence..?

Anyway, I'd like to pick up the previous conversation. Sorry to butt in, folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leave The Pieces View Post
Holy crap, see, I knew Sumizawa's been reading too much fan fiction. 90% of the fan fics I have read out there has 2xH married, 6x9 having kids, Wu Fei barely given a role (which bothers me to no end, Wu Fei is awesome!), Trowa and Quatre staying by each other's side for the rest of their lives post EW, a 1xR reunion... and Relena a pathetic, hopeless romantic.
Sturgeon's Law says that 90% of everything is crap. I'd say he's right.

That aside, I don't think Sumizawa has read too much fanfic. If that were the case, Trowa would be mute, Wu Fei would be homophobic and referring to women only by 'woman' (or better yet, 'onna', because it makes total sense for a Chinese to speak Japanese ), Duo would be a loud idiot who'd play pranks all the time and Heero would be either hitting on Relena nonstop or angsting for five thousand pages "what those weird feelings are." Though I can see that last one happening in FT.
No, I think Sumizawa simply hasn't watched GW in a long time, but has watched plenty of other shows. It's the only reason I can think of of why Duo and Wu Fei suddenly have a Goku-Vegeta relationship or why some women are sobbing, lovesick idiots, who'd give up everything for the love of their life. Bah, the latter reminds me so much of Inu Yasha, especially the ending. Anyway.
I think the best way I can put it is that I believe Sumizawa doesn't know GW anymore, he only remembers it. At least, where the characters are concerned. He has a general idea of how they acted but he has forgotten about the details (like the majority of people who were fans back then). He's applying stereotypes.

I realize this is quite the statement to make, so allow me to elaborate.
As I mentioned, the relationship dynamics between Duo and Wu Fei are one of the things that had me raise my brow. Although Wu Fei taunted Duo in the series it was never in a hostile manner. So I was quite surprised about the whole "I never considered you a friend" thing. Not to mention that Kathy describes them as bickering kids.
Then there's Heero. The entire circumstances about him being frozen don't add up to me. He said he wouldn't kill anymore at the end of EW. Why on Earth would he agree to be further used as a 'weapon' then? What became of "I will survive!"? Not exactly living as an ice block, is he? That's what bothers me most about him in FT. At the end of the series he had stopped seeing himself as expendable. He wanted to live. And at the end of EW he wanted to live a life without killing. And now Sumizawa tells me he froze himself? To kill people? wtf.
Next one would be Duo. *sigh* What did he do to him? The guy grows up on the streets, loses his family twice, survives a war and still walks around with a smile on his face, albeit with a very cynic streak. And now Sumizawa expects me to believe that in FT he's turned into an self-pitying, unreliable bastard? What? The one who fought "so that no one else would have to", who went out of his way to save people in trouble and felt guilty when people suffered because of him suddenly marries the girl he calls his home because he wants to buy a motorbike, sets off into the wilderness without giving a damn about her or anything else and pretty much dumps all his responsibilities (namely a church) on her? What did he smoke?
Though I think Kit said something about having expected something like that. If you could elaborate, I'd be very grateful. Because I really can't see it.
Lastly, there would be the women. GW is one of the very few anime in which males and females are equally badass. All of them. We got soldiers, knife-throwers, guerillas and princesses, who keep their cool even though the very building they stand in is under fire. Now, let's look at FT. Is Angelina badass? No. Is Aoi? Nope. Hilde and Catherine seem badass, though. But they're also crazy. Punching people for not saying hi? Yeah, that's crazy in my book. Did something like that happen in GW? I can't recall an instance. And don't get me started on the whole love business. GW's greatest offender was Noin with counting the days since she last saw Zechs. And maybe Relena for constantly saying Heero's name, if you interpret it that way. But FT is dripping with sap. I know, that's not really an argument but it doesn't do anything to contribute to a GW feeling for the novel either.

In the end, I think that's what I want to say. FT doesn't really read like something related to GW. It doesn't "feel" like Gundam Wing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsoru View Post
As for uh... the 'fic', well, there's a reason everyone had that happening. It was easily predictable- everyone knew it was stuff that was going to happen if you took the events in series and manga to their logical conclusions.
Okay, you piqued my interest, Kit. Do tell, 10 years from the series' end, how do you picture the pilots? Actually, this is a question to everyone. What do you think would be the "logical conclusion"? Are the fic stereotypes or FT close to it?

Quote:
In a situation like that where Heero's going off to die, and with the situation she's in here, you don't think she'd be thinking something like that? And beyond that.... I don't see why it's bad for her to be, as Duo says, sad that the person she loves has to kill her. That IS sad.
I'm with Leave The Pieces on this one. It is sad but as it has been said already, Relena doesn't tear up because of something like that. If it's for the greater good she'll muster up her courage and say "do it". It's what she did as Queen and in EW. If she was sad about anything it was because she believed she failed to achieve her goal, not because her beloved was about to shoot her. At least, that's what I think. The only time we see her cry because of Heero is at the end after Libra blows up, the war is over and Heero is safe.

Quote:
Though if anything I like Wufei for his jerkiness.
You'd be surprised by how small the number of people who hate him is by now. Besides, Wu Fei is awesome and I won't have anyone blindly hate on him. Not when you can easily twist him into being either a tragic hero, a tragic romantic or just the plain badass kung fu guy. And although he is jerk, he isn't being a jerk about it. He'll only rub it in your face when you actually do something stupid.

Quote:
(Either way this kind of annoys me too because you just know the shippers in denial will point to this and say, 'BUT HEERO NEVER SAID HE LOVED HER!!!'. Because people don't get he's a stoic! He wouldn't confess his love to anybody outright. Sigh.)
To this I only say: "I will kill you." And for the rest of the series and movie you see him rushing to her aid and protecting her all the time. Yeah, Heero is totally a man of his word. It definitely isn't a case of "actions speak louder than words". Or better yet, acting on your emotions.
IkuzeMinna is offline   Reply With Quote