Thread: Licensed Robotics;Notes
View Single Post
Old 2012-11-20, 00:05   Link #593
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flawfinder View Post
I got what the scene was going for, but it was jus too stupid and painful to take seriously. The physical violence was the thing that got to me. Oh, and the fact that the father became all hammy and launched into some bullcrap speech about robots and fishing whilst trying to break the robots themselves, causing all subtlety to practically vanish. Top it off with that Clannad-like fainting scene and I had nothing but hatred for what was up to then an episode I actually liked.
My initial reaction to that scene was similar to yours.

On the other hand, I think that the plot was maybe progressing a bit too smoothly on the Robotics Club end of things (gaining two more members, getting their robot fighter primed and ready to go without much trouble, etc...) and we needed a new and unique "challenge" to keep things tense and interesting.

The ending, overall, was nicely intense, and did provide a good contrast between it and the more subtle and slow-moving aspects of this episode.

On the whole, Robotics;Notes now has one of the more interesting plots of this anime season for me. It has a few different facets to it, with several subplots running concurrently. It's not all about just one thing, and I kind of like that. There's also an impressive diversity to the five Robotics Club members.

Very good show. I'm looking forward to more.