Thread: Licensed Vivid Red Operation
View Single Post
Old 2013-01-22, 09:12   Link #769
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

^- ah yes, magical girl fans But wait! Isn't it science? *runs*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
I would guess that Vivid Red may also have mecha fans (well, the magical girl type of mecha, anyway :P. Nanoha or similar type series fans, etc.), but in general I agree that Strike Witches scope and setting allows for a much wider/richer world of material. The Strike Witches universe is wide enough to sustain multiple manga, LN, and other series on top of a movie + two or more seasons of anime. Vivid Red's original universe, meanwhile, doesn't seem like it will be super deep which would mean that its story will just depend on its ~5-6 main characters.

At this stage I will be pretty surprised if Vivid Red becomes a bigger or longer-lasting franchise than Strike Witches. On the other hand I do think it might be plausible if Vivid Red sells more BD disks; overall, I kind of like Vividred's atmosphere better and the art/presentation is much more impressive/polished. Basically, I do feel that in a lot of ways Vivid Red is a very much new and improved Strike Witches, but in the end the world and history of Strike Witches still makes the original a deeper and longer-lasting product.
Very true. I believe the Strike Witches series also has a side story about the Ground Witches, I've not looked into it but it's fascinating.

And while Strike Witches fight to eradicate invaders, at the moment Vivid Red Butt seems like the Alone just want to eat the Engine. Surely, that can't be the only reason, and I sure am interested in what the creator has in store for any deeper story, but yeah it does not seem too deep (ATM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
Military otaku and I will always have some disagreements, so the more superheroic aspects of this series are what's currently giving it an edge over Strike Witches for me. I like my technology like I like my anime girls - fictional and quirky.
Aha! I knew I forgot to categorize it: you're right, this series does have that superheroic aspect to it, while Strike Witches are soldiers representing their respective countries, Vivid Red Butt features an old man granting his grand daughter powers to save the day
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote