View Single Post
Old 2008-04-16, 02:25   Link #218
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

The second episode is built on a straightforward theme, exemplified in what Grandma Moot had once told the orphans:

"Even if they are the words of a mouse, it's okay to believe them if they are the truth. Who says them is not important. What is important is the meaning of the words and the ability to believe in them. Eventually, many people will tell you different things, but you should think about them and walk your own path."

Travas Radia wanted to avenge her husband and sons by fighting Roxche, but after hearing Allison's and Wil's stories, she came to see the other point of view, to see another truth. Hence, she made an unexpected decision, contrary to her own beliefs. Bear in mind that she had intended to hand Allison and Wil to the police at first.

Over-simplified? Too cheesy? Perhaps. But from a story-telling perspective, I felt that Travas was behaving very much in-character. It's not war she wanted to pursue, but rather justice for the family she lost. If helping Allison and Wil would serve that goal, I can understand why she allowed them to go free.

Allison & Lilia is obviously meant to be an allegory, and like most allegories, they work best when they are boiled down to the essential details, to deliver the message you want your audience to hear. Now, many writers hate allegory, because they feel that it is an insincere way of saying what you truly mean to say.

They are entitled to their opinions. Personally, I don't mind allegory as long as it's beautiful. For example, I disliked the Christian themes in The Chronicles of Narnia, but I loved the saga and the characters. You must like the story first. The deeper meanings behind the story can come later.

It's the same for Allison & Lilia. I especially loved the flashback where Allison made Wil her "loyal henchman" from Day One. It's very cute. Allison and Wil are a perfect couple - they complete each other. One is rash and impulsive, the other careful and rational. Together, they make a dream possible. That is clearly the message the author wanted to make.

So, let it be and stop the whining. If you don't like the show, there are plenty of other promising stuff to watch this season.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote